Saturday, September 11, 2010

This applies to everything, but I've got a couple examples

Meaning makes things stronger.

When there is purpose in my relationships, they are stronger - automatically, without words, it just becomes a stronger, better relationship. I don't have to say "you're my best friend" or "I love you" in order to lay it out in clear terms. I don't have to say "I care about you more now than I used to" or "I feel like our bond is stronger now than it used to be." Instead, as I seek the Lord's face in relationships...as we talk about Him and our purpose in Him; as we encourage and build each other up, indeed how the church should, we find more purpose and depth in our interactions. Without words, we mutually know that we each care about each other deeply.

When my emotions are shallow and based on circumstances, they are still very real, but when my emotions are based on meaningful things they are much stronger. So in one situation I would be happy because I get to go on vacation. But in comparison, when I am joyful because the Lord has just given me more of a revelation of His love, or because a friend just believed in the Lord, I am filled to OVERFLOWING with joy that can't be overshadowed.

When I cry because my feelings have been hurt, it's not the same as when I cry because I see someone the way the Lord sees them and they are so far from Him. I could cry a huge amount of tears when I've been hurt by someone and my heart is heavy. But even if I only shed a couple tears over someone that is lost or hurting, my heart is torn and instead of a little weight it is completely crushed. Complete emotional exhaustion comes faster when it is truly meaningful.

So relationships are stronger when they are meaningful, and emotions are stronger when they are more meaningful. But what is meaningful?

I have a test. I ask myself one question to determine what to do...how to react...whether something matters: In the light of eternity what does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 comments.